3/19/2012

{Recipe} Nutella Cream Cheese Frosting

A couple of weeks ago was my MIL's birthday.
I was in charge of dessert, so I asked her what she wanted as a birthday treat?
She told me...
"Anything Chocolate!"
So I created...
Mini Chocolate Cakes with Nutella Cream Cheese Frosting

 Nutella Cream Cheese Frosting

4oz Cream Cheese, softened
1 stick Butter, softened
2/3 cup Nutella 
2 T. Cocoa Powder
4 cups Powdered Sugar
1 T. Vanilla Extract
Milk as needed
Caramel Sauce *optional*
Chocolate Jimmies *optional*

Cake Prep
I used my go to Scratch Recipe for Chocolate Cake.  I need to get that recipe on here soon!  It has more than a normal cake mix, so if you need a lot of mini cakes... you may need two boxes of cake mix.
I baked my chocolate cake in a jelly roll pan so that the cake was about an inch-inch and a half thick.
Using a 3 inch round cookie cutter, I cut out multiple circles approx. 24.
I then spooned and spread a layer of caramel onto each mini cake so that it could start to soak in.

Frosting Prep
Beat the cream cheese and butter together, then add Nutella until incorporated.
Sift the powdered sugar and cocoa powder, then slowly add to the mixing bowl. 
Add the vanilla extract.
Add the milk as needed for desired consistency.
Using a 2D Wilton tip, make a frosting rosette- starting from the center of each mini cake.
Stack the cakes so that they are 2 high.
Drizzle more caramel sauce and top with chocolate jimmies





Reality Check-
How is it that Blogger and Pinterest still don't consider Nutella a word?  It is a beautifully delicious word:)


I used a caramel sauce that was too runny.  This would have tasted better, with a richer flavor if I would have used a thick caramel sauce... store bought or homemade.


The combination of the toasted hazelnuts in the Nutella and the cream cheese, for some reason reminded me of camping and roasting mallows. Who knows why, other than I am weird:)


These were the perfect little portion with a great cake to frosting ratio.  The flavor combinations that you can do with these are practically limitless.


Linked to~ My Favorite Finds