3/07/2012

{Crazy Cooking Challenge} Easy Red Sauce and Whole Wheat Pasta

This month I joined up with the Crazy Cooking Challenge
The theme was Red Sauce and Spaghetti

I found the the recipe I wanted to use for the challenge over at Budget Bytes...
It truly is thick and rich,
It was simple to make, and has the potential to be very adaptable to experimentation:)
I served this with whole wheat spaghetti noodles, homemade wheat bread garlic toast, and Lemon Pepper Asparagus.
It was a very filling and yummy meal.



Thick and Rich Pasta Sauce

1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
1 teaspoon Garlic, minced
1 (28 oz) can Crushed Tomatoes
1 (6 oz) can Tomato Paste
1/2 Tablespoon Sugar
3/4 Tablespoon Salt
1 teaspoon Basil
1/2 teaspoon Dried Oregano
20 cranks Fresh Cracked Pepper
Pinch Crushed Red Pepper

Add the oil and garlic to a saucepan and cook over medium heat for 1-2 minutes.
Add the two cans of tomatoes and stir until combined.
Add the rest of the ingredients and adjust to preferred taste.
Simmer the sauce, then cook on low for 10-15 minutes.

This was easy to make, and I look forward to making it again in the future.


Reality Check-
Next time I make this, I am adding more garlic, more cracked and red pepper, less sugar, and fresh basil if I can find it.

I accidentally had the stovetop set at too high of a temperature, it cause my garlic to brown sooner than I would have liked.

I should have had everything measured and ready to go so that I didn't have to keep pulling the garlic and oil off of the heat.

Photobucket